Joshua J Robertson

Border_Line.png

3D Environment Artist

Logo_V2.png

Game-Ready Temple
Trim Sheet Study

2021

This game-ready temple was created for a personal trim sheet study, the aim was to create a large scale model from a single trim sheet texture for use in a game engine. The project took a few days to complete, but now I understand the process of how to utilise a trim sheet, the time could be cut down significantly. This workflow has proven to be a massive time saver for asset creation, additionally it allows for great optimisation of texture maps in game engines. For example, during the lighting process I realised I wanted to add a bit of life to the scene, so I modelled and textured the brazier within 10-15 minutes using the same trim sheet texture. This in itself displayed the power of trim sheets for me, if I had used the usual high to low poly method for the brazier, it would have easily taken a few hours to make and would have cost another unique texture map for the engine. 


The poly count of the entire scene is at 4k and uses a single 2k trim sheet texture, retaining a 512 texel density per metre or higher. The poly count could easily be lower if it was uniquely unwrapped, but I utilised extra edge loops to add more variety in the textures; I see this as a good trade off as game engines today can handle higher poly counts a lot easier compared to a large cache of texture maps. No decals or vertex painting were used in this scene, neither was any post editing outside of UE4 as I wanted to visualise how much a single texture map could be reused on an asset before it becomes too repetitive for a video game. I discovered here that although it isn’t immediately obvious that this asset only uses one texture map, the use of vertex painting and decals would go a long way in breaking up the asset; if I was making this for an actual game, I would certainly use these methods in conjunction with the trim sheet. 


I felt that I had a good balance of detail on my trim sheet without having any huge obvious cracks or marks which would be easily noticeable on the repeated texture. However, next time I will be adding more variation in the sections as I found myself using some sections a lot more than others, also more of a variation in the size of the sections would have helped a lot. Overall I was very happy with the results and I will be taking what I learnt here into my next project.


This project was inspired by Polygon Academy’s trim sheet tutorial on Youtube; I would highly recommend his tutorials to anyone looking to get into 3D art, especially environment art.  

The fire particles were used from the 'FX Variety Pack' by Kakky on Epic Games marketplace and edited in Cascade (UE4's particle system editor) in order to fit the braziers.


The character model used for showing scale was created by Hayri Aslan Kocaman - https://www.artstation.com/hayriaslanart

SOFTWARE

Maya

Substance Painter

ZBrush

Unreal Engine 4

Photoshop

UE4 RAW RENDERS

Click Image to Open Gallery

maya-34da88e18b.png
SP_Black_Title_1.png
unreal-engine-4-logo-transparent-wallpap
zbrush-logo.png
logo-photoshop-tous-les-logos-67698.png

Click Image to Open Gallery

Wireframe

copyright-symbol.png

All Rights Reserved